Man Hospitalized After Eating World's Hottest Chili Pepper

An upstate New York man was hospitalized with severe headaches after eating the world's hottest chili pepper.

The man ate a "Carolina Reaper" during a hot-pepper eating contest. Over the next few days, he began to suffer what's known as "thunderclap headaches", quick, painful headaches that peak within 60 seconds and can cause nausea or vomiting.

The man was diagnosed with Reversible Cerebral Vasoconstriction Syndrome, or RCVS, and the symptoms eventually went away. Doctors say there are no previously recorded cases of RCVS caused by hot peppers.