1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, plus more for serving
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Pinch of cayenne
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
40 cold dill pickle slices, patted dry
Four 8-inch New Orleans-style French loaves
1 cup thinly shredded romaine lettuce
3 plum tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch slices (12 slices)
- Combine the mayonnaise, hot sauce and 1 teaspoon of the paprika in a medium bowl.
- Beat the milk and egg in a separate medium bowl. Put the flour in a shallow dish. Combine the cornstarch, cornmeal, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, 2 teaspoons salt, a few grinds of black pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon paprika in another shallow dish.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer registers 375 degrees F.
- Dip the pickle slices first in the flour, tapping off any excess, then in the egg mixture. Then press them in the cornmeal mixture to coat. Fry in batches, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Split the loaves down the middle lengthwise but do not cut all the way through. Spread 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise mixture on each loaf. Top each with 1/4 cup lettuce and 3 tomato slices. Stuff 10 fried pickles into each sandwich. Serve with more hot sauce.