1 cup diced canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons sundried tomato paste
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 scant teaspoon (1/3 palm full) oregano
A pinch of sugar and salt
A few leaves of torn basil, plus a few torn to serve
1 pound ball dough from market or your favorite pizza parlor or EZ Pizza Dough, recipe follows
EVOO, for drizzling, and about 1/4 cup in a cup for brushing
1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1/2 tablespoon AP flour
Salt and pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes
About 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
About 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
2 tablespoons water
About 1 tablespoon acacia honey
1 scant teaspoon Calabrian chili paste or chili flakes
Fennel and Olive Salad, for serving, optional, recipe follow
- Stretch dough into an even round that will cover large skillet.
- Drizzle a little EVOO in smaller skillet. Cut sausage from casing, add to pan and lightly brown and crumble. Turn pan off.
- Sprinkle a little cornmeal and flour in larger skillet and press dough into and up sides as much as possible. The pan is hot — reminder. Brush the dough with EVOO and season with a little salt and pepper or red pepper flakes. Top the dough with the sauce and sausage, scatter the cheeses over the sausage and place in oven.
- To the sausage skillet, add a little water, honey and chili paste and stir to combine (reheat your pan if it’s not warm enough to heat the honey).
- Bake the pizza 15 minutes to deep golden brown and bubbly. Drizzle or brush the pizza with the chili honey mixture and top with torn basil.
EZ Pizza Dough:
- To a mixer with dough hook attached, add warm water and yeast and let the yeast bloom and foam, 5 minutes.