School Pizza Squares Recipe
Remember those pizza squares from school lunches? If miss that old rectangle pizza, don’t worry, you can make it yourself! Here’s the recipe:
Half sheet pan and line with parchment paper.
- 2 ⅔ flour
- ¾ cup powdered milk
- 2 T sugar
- 1 packet of quick rise yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ⅔ cup warm water (105-110 degrees)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- ½ pound ground chuck
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 8oz block mozzarella cheese – grated yourself (To be authentic school pizza, you will have to use imitation mozzarella shreds.)
Sauce (I make sauce the day before):
- 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tbsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried rosemary crushed
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Spray pan with Pam and lay Parchment paper down (Pam makes it stick)
- In a large bowl – flour, powdered milk, sugar, yeast, salt – whisk to blend
- Add oil to hot water (110-115 degrees) – pour into your mixture
- Stir with a wooden spoon until batter forms – don’t worry about lumps – you just want no dry spots
- Spread dough into pan using fingertips until it’s even. If dough doesn’t want to cooperate, let rest 5 minutes and try again
- Bake just the crust for 8-10 minutes – remove from oven and set aside.
- Brown meats until it resembles crumbles – set aside and drain meat
- Get out the pizza sauce – to partially baked crust, assemble:
- Sauce – spread all over crust
- Sprinkle meats
- Sprinkle cheese
- Bake at 475 degrees for 8-10 minutes until cheese melts and begins to brown
- Remove from oven – let stand 5 minutes
- Cut in slices and serve!
Sign me up for the 94.7 WCSX email newsletter!
Stay connected to all things Classic Rock, join the WCSX Workforce- it’s free and you can win prizes, concert tickets and VIP experiences.