It’s been more than two months since the Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi and Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills closed due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, but there is a light at the end of the shopping tunnel.
The malls have announced they will reopen on Thursday (May 28) with adjusted hours and new safety precautions.
According to posts on both the Twelve Oaks Mall and Great Lakes Crossing websites, limited stores and restaurants will be open. They encourage shoppers to “check directly with stores and restaurants for specific details, as hours may vary.”
Both malls, owned by Taubman Centers, plan to reopen Thursday at 11 a.m.
Here are some of the precautions being taken to ensure shoppers are safe, according to the malls’ websites:
- Using signage and decals to help customers practice social distancing
- Cleaning and disinfecting the center throughout the day, and after-hours, with a focus on high-touch, high-traffic surfaces
- Using a stronger disinfectant when available
- Offering hand sanitizer at designated stations
- Closing play areas
- Turning off drinking fountains
- Removing furniture and/or resetting seating areas in our common areas and food courts to allow for greater social distancing
- Removing trays from our food courts to reduce the amount of high-touch surfaces
Encouraging the use of masks and gloves where it is not already mandated by local, state or federal laws
- Allowing mall walkers access to do what they love, but during a more limited time frame
“We will continue to comply with all local, state and federal laws and mandates to ensure a safe environment,” the malls state.