Congratulations to Northville,
You’re the WCSX City of the Week
- Northville is home to Mill Race Village located on Griswold Avenue. Mill Race Village has historic buildings that represent a typical gathering of early buildings and uses.
- The first land patent in the Northville area was granted to Gideon Benton in 1823. Not only was Mr. Benton the first land owner in Northville, but he was also the postmaster for Northville’s first post office! Mr. Benton’s land is now known as Cass Benton Park.
- In 1944 Northville Downs opened up as the first nighttime harness racing track in Michigan (Harness racing is a race where a horse pulls a jockey in a two wheeled cart called a sulky. The horse also has to race at a certain pace)
- The Downs was actually built on the site of the former Wayne County Fair, where Joe Louis trained in 1939 for his World Championship later that year. Northville Downs has been in continuous operation since 1944, and is located at the corner of Center Street and Seven Mile.
- Henry Ford purchased a factory in Northville and moved machinery from plants in the area to the factory in 1919. The Northville Valve Plant was enlarged in 1956. The plant provided valves for every Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln vehicle, except for the Lincoln Continental, until closing and being sold.