Congratulations to Garden City,
You’re the WCSX City of the Week
Garden City factoids
- The origins of Garden City started with the transfer of the property to John Lathers from Andrew Jackson for 160 acres in October 1835.
- The city was patterned after the “garden city” concept that became popular in England during the 19th century, with most home sites sectioned off into 1-acre plots to allow ample space for small scaled farming.
- The garden city movement is a method of urban planning in which self-contained communities are surrounded by “greenbelts”, containing proportionate areas of residences, industry, and agriculture. The idea was initiated in 1898 by Ebenezer Howard in the United Kingdom and aims to capture the primary benefits of a countryside environment and a city environment while avoiding the disadvantages presented by both.
- Garden City was home to the first K-Mart in 1962 which made “life ridiculously AWESOME” GC was also home to the first ever Little Caesars in 1959. Pizza! Pizza!
- In 1927, the area was incorporated into a village with an estimated population of 900 and an area of 3,600 acres. In December 1933, the big step was taken to incorporate Garden City into a city, having an area of 5.8 miles with a population of 2,500.
- The Straight Farmhouse is home to the Garden City Historical Museum, The Lathers General Store, and the Grande Parlour. The museum was moved from Log Cabin in Garden City Park due to structural difficulties.