Congratulations to Westland,
You’re the WCSX City of the Week
- Eloise Psychiatric Hospital was a large complex located in Westland, Michigan. It was named after Eloise Dickerson Davock, the daughter of Detroit’s postmaster.
- At it’s prime Eloise had a staggering 10,000 patients with only 2,000 nurses and doctors.
- It operated from 1839 to early 1982. Starting out as a poor house and farm, it eventually developed into an asylum, sanatorium and hospital. It is now considered the most haunted place in Michigan.
- The population of Westland’s area exploded in the 1940’s. The area was developed immediately after WWII to provide housing for returning soldiers who worked in nearby factories.
- Westland Shopping Center opened in 1965. In 1966, Nankin Township voted to make the remainder of its township the city of Westland.
- Gregory Jbara, the actor who plays NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Public Information Garret Moore on the CBS drama, Blue Bloods (2010–present), was born in Westland.