Congratulations to Imlay City,
You’re the WCSX City of the Week!
Imlay City Factoids:
- Imlay City was founded on April 1, 1850 by Charles Palmer, the chief engineer of the Port Huron and Lake Michigan Railroad, who bought 240 acres of land along the railroad’s route. Palmer named the city for the Connecticut-based capitalist William H. Imlay, who had invested heavily in the region after moving there in 1828.
- By 1914, the town began building around streetcar lines. Typically only big cities invested in this form of public transportation.
- In April 1970 the town celebrated its 100th birthday and the residents of Imlay City changed from a village to a Home Rule city form of government
- The construction of Interstate 69 in the 1980s connected Imlay City with Flint, Port Huron, and Canada, leading to significant economic growth.
- Imlay City is home to the Eastern Michigan Fairgrounds. They hold a fair every year that includes rides, a rodeo, a demolition derby, and a farm animal competition.