Congratulations to Troy,
You’re the WCSX City of the Week!
- The earliest recorded purchases of land in what was known as Troy Township occurred in 1819. A couple of years later a settlement known as Troy Corners was established due to Johnson Niles buying 160 acres in the region. In 1827 Troy Township was established. In 1955 Troy was officially incorporated primarily as a strategy for preventing border cities from taking more land.
- Two roads in Troy have French names. Livernois, which runs south into the heart of downtown Detroit was named for Francis Livernois one of the French habitants or ribbon farmers. Ribbon farms were narrow strips of property that fronted on the Detroit River and extended up to two miles inland. Dequindre honors Antoine Dequindre, a prominent land owner and participant in the War of 1812.
- Troy didn’t always have lakes. The Emerald Lakes are clustered north of the intersection of John R and Square Lake Roads. 12,000 years ago the glacier which had covered this area, and brought with it rocks and other ground cover from up north, melted and left behind thousands of tons of gravel in place in northeast Troy. In the first half of the 20th century these gravel deposits were intensively mined and removed. The gravel pits filled with water over time from underground springs and runoff and became the Emerald Lakes.
- Oakland Mall history: The first store to open at the site of the Oakland Mall was Sears, which opened in 1965. In 1968, the mall itself opened, featuring Hudson’s as another anchor.