Congratulations to Melvindale,
You’re the WCSX City of the Week!
- Melvindale was first settled in the 1830’s, and originally named Oakwood Heights.
- The Slogan of Melvindale is “The Little City with the Big Heart.”
- Melvindale serves an important role for railroad traffic in Metro Detroit. The Norfolk Southern Railway, The Canadian National Railway, Conrail, CSX railways all have rail yards in Melvindale.
- Melvindale is located South of Dearborn and North of Allen Park and has a population of approximately 11,000 residents.
- Melvindale became a village 1924 and a city in 1933. It was named after an early resident, Melvin Wilkinson.
- For many years, all the natural gas used in Detroit was piped from Texas and stored in Melvindale.