Congratulations to Pleasant Ridge,
You’re the WCSX City of the Week!
Pleasant Ridge Factoids:
- Pleasant Ridge is one of Michigan’s smallest incorporated cities, measuring just .58 square miles. It’s located just South of I-696 at Woodward, in between Oak Park, Royal Oak and Ferndale.
- Pleasant Ridge is also one of the most recent cities in Michigan. It wasn’t settled until the 1900’s with only a handful of vacation homes, becoming a village in 1919 and finally a city in 1927.
- The name of Pleasant Ridge chosen in 1912. Resident Leila Kennedy proposed to name the settlement Pleasant Valley after her hometown in Kentucky. Other residents lived along Ridge Road and thought that would be a good name. A compromise led to the official name of Pleasant Ridge.
- Pleasant Ridge has their own Police Department, but partners with the Ferndale School system and Ferndale Fire Department for those services.
- Pleasant Ridge features a Historic District that is almost entirely residential, and is made up of houses built between 1910 and 1930. These houses include various architectural styles including styles such as Colonial, English Tudor, and Dutch Colonial. There are also examples of the Arts and Crafts style, including Craftsman and Prairie School types.