Donielle Flynn

Weekdays 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Did you already start stocking up on Halloween candy?  We get a TON of trick-or-treaters on my street. I like buying Halloween candy early, but it can be a dangerous game, my friend.  If I buy early and all the candy is laying about… you KNOW all the candy doesn’t make it to Halloween.  According to the National Confectioners Association, close to one in five Americans who plan to buy candy already have, or will by the end of THIS week.  Here are some of their stats:

18% said they usually buy it in September, or earlier

65% will buy in the first few weeks of October

12% will wait until the very last minute.

The remaining 5% said it varies, or they’ll end up buying Halloween candy again… after they eat it all (ME).

Mars Inc. and Hershey Co. brand Halloween candy is displayed for a...

Mars Inc. and Hershey Co. brand Halloween candy is displayed for a photograph beside a pumpkin themed treat bucket in Tiskilwa, Illinois, U.S., on Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020. Costume-sellers appear to be... Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images

1.  Three in four Americans plan to celebrate.  93% of those people will celebrate with candy, by eating it or handing it out

2.  97% of people who welcome trick-or-treaters will hand out candy this year.  The other 3% are the ones who hand out things like stickers and toothbrushes.

3.  The top types of candy we’re looking forward to are chocolate, gummy candy, and candy corn.

I read a survey that says Michigan’s favorite Halloween candy is candy corn.  How do you eat candy corn? National Confections Association says the most popular way to eat candy corn is the whole piece all at once.  But 33% start with the tip, and 16% start with the fatter end.  I eat candy corn all at once but also end up with a fatter end.  And now a song that has nothing to do with actual candy, but rather Candy, the person. I have a sweet spot for Iggy.

 

 

Donielle Fynn is a Michigan native with two kids, two dogs, two cats, a love of yoga, and all things classic rock.