Congratulations Sterling Heights: City of the Week with WCSX! Sterling Heights has gone through some changes early on. Sterling Heights was originally a part of Shelby Township in 1827. It was broken off in 1835 and was named Jefferson Township. In 1838 it was renamed Sterling Township.
Sterling Heights was primarily used as agriculture for rhubarb, till the area’s real estate grew due to the need for homes for the growing automobile industry.
In 1968, Sterling Township became a city and the name was changed to Sterling Heights to appease some municipality issues.
Time for some Sterling Heights Factoids: