Congratulations to Eastpointe,
You’re the WCSX City of the Week
Eastpointe was originally established in the 1830’s by immigrant German and Irish settlers. The region was officially named as the village of “Halfway” in 1924 after years of calling the town’s Post Office “Half-Way” due to its location between downtown Detroit and the Macomb County seat at Mount Clemens.
The city proudly considers itself the “Gateway to Macomb County” as it is literally the dividing line between Macomb and Wayne Counties. Eastpointe is bordered by numerous cities including Detroit, Harper Woods, Warren, Roseville, and St. Clair Shores. The main cross section of Eastpointe is Gratiot Avenue and 9 Mile Road.
According to the Eastpointe Historical Society: “Originally what is now Gratiot Avenue was an Indian trail through the wilderness. In 1827, the army surveyed the roadway and by 1835 built a “corduroy-type” road. Logs were cut on the right-of-way and laid crosswise to elevate the road above water. The military road led from Fort Wayne in Detroit to Fort Gratiot (now Port Huron). In 1850, a plank toll road replaced the original corduroy road. The toll was one cent for each horse.”
Merollis Chevrolet of Eastpointe is where Guinness Book of World Records, “World’s Greatest Salesman,” Joe Girard set consecutive sales records over a fifteen-year period.