Primary Menu

WCSX City of the Week

Congratulations to Wayne,

You’re the WCSX City of the Week

Wayne factoids

  • Wayne recently received national attention when the Ford Ranger (built in Wayne) was named the “Most American Car” by cars.com.
  • The area of Wayne was settled in 1824 by George M. Johnson who built a two-room log house on the old “Chicago Road” which is now Michigan Avenue. For a short time the area was known as Johnson’s Tavern.
  • Ezra Derby is credited for founding Wayne in 1834. Ezra started subdividing land, established a cemetery and mills along the lower branch of the Rouge River and changed the name to “Derby’s Corners.”
  • The town was lastly named after Revolutionary War General Anthony Wayne in 1836.
  • The Chicago Road that ran through Wayne was paved with oak logs in 1850, becoming the Detroit and Saline Plank Road. In 1867 it was changed to its current name of Michigan Avenue.

Here’s a pic from our last visit to Wayne… Mayor Rhaesa and the city crew